Please make sure the following are met before uploading:
- Bleed - .125" outside actual size
- Safe Zone - .125" inside actual size
- Resolution - 300 dpi
- Colors - CMYK; not RGB
- File Size - no larger than 50mb
- Pdf or jpg files are preferred
- We also accept .png, .zip, and .psd file formats
We do offer Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator design templates to get you started. Our required settings are already incorporated into them. These templates can be found on our "Template Files" page. (There is also a quick link in the footer menu.)
- The industry standard for bleed is .125" around all four sides outside of the actual size. The safe margin is .125" around all four sides inside of the actual size. This ensures that everything important is not cut off and that color goes all the way to the edge of the paper. This principle applies to all of our printed products.
- Design File Size: 5.25" x 7.25"
- Actual Size: 5" x 7"
- Safe Zone Size: 4.75" x 6.75"
All images should be at least 300 dpi.
Please make sure all colors are in CMYK mode for color accuracy and a better quality output.
To match the color of a text or shape element in one of our templates, click on the item, click on the color swatch, click on "Show More." Write down the 6-digit/letter code in the "#" field. Create or go to a different element, click on the color swatch, click on "Show More," type the color code in the "#" field, and click on "OK."
Pdf or jpg files are preferred. We also accept .png, .zip, and .psd file formats.
- Files should be 300 dpi at 100% of actual size.
- It is best to submit your project by first packaging your Adobe InDesign document and zipping the files for upload. This will ensure that we have all the necessary links, fonts, and associated files to reproduce your document accurately and insure the best output possible.
- Or, saved in PDF format in "High Quality Print" or "Press Quality" (embed all fonts and set the screen value to 300 lpi.) If you have special or unique fonts, please select the fonts and create outlines from the type menu in Adobe InDesign.
- Saving your Adobe Illustrator file as an EPS file with all fonts converted to outlines and all colors in CMYK mode will ensure proper output.
- Or, save in PDF format in "High Quality Print" or "Press Quality" (embed all fonts and set the screen value to 300 lpi.) If you have special or unique fonts, please select the fonts and create outlines from the type menu in Adobe InDesign.
Microsoft Word & Microsoft Programs
- Save your document as a PDF document for print, (high resolution.)
You can view a PDF preview of your design in your portfolio. If you'd like a hard copy proof:
- Only one charge is necessary for the full order.
- We strongly suggest viewing a hard copy proof, especially if you are worried about color. Colors on your monitor may not be representative of the printed product. The monitor uses a resolution of 72 dpi and is RGB based, while printing uses 300 dpi and is CMYK based. The colors on the monitor are brighter than they will appear when they print. To see true color representation, you will need to see a printed hard copy proof.
- Proofing adds to turnaround time based on whether you order a walk-in or mailed proof.
- If you request a proof, we must receive your approval (in person, by phone, or email) to complete the printing process.
- If you need to make changes to your order and require another hard copy proof, another business day will be added to your time frame, and you will be charged accordingly with the balance payment due at order pick up.
- If you do not request a hard copy proof, placement of your order gives us permission to print without going through our proofing department. Watkins Printing will not be responsible for reprints if you are dissatisfied with your order and you did not request a hard copy proof.
- Mailed proofs are sent using United States Postal Service (USPS) 2 Day Priority Flat Rate.
We offer the following papers:
65# Astrobright Cover – Assorted bright colors, smooth finish
80# Coated White Dull Gloss Cover – White, smooth, non-reflective finish
80# Coated White Gloss Cover – White, smooth, reflective finish
80# Uncoated White Cover – White, uncoated
80# Uncoated White Felt Cover – White, textured finish (small bumps)
80# Uncoated Cream Cover – Cream color, smooth finish, uncoated
90# Uncoated Index Cover – White, Blue, Canary, or Cherry, uncoated
90# Uncoated White Linen Cover – White, textured finish (lines both directions on paper)
90# Uncoated Cream Ribbed Cover – Cream color, textured finish (lines one direction on paper)
100# Coated White Dull Gloss Cover – White, smooth, non-reflective finish
100# Coated White Gloss Cover – White, smooth, reflective finish
100# Uncoated White Cover – White, uncoated
100# Uncoated Black Cover – Black, uncoated
100# Uncoated Cream Felt Cover – Cream color, textured finish (small bumps)
110# Uncoated Ice Pearl Cover – Smooth with metallic finish (reflective)
110# Uncoated Navy Blue Cover – Smooth, uncoated, Navy Blue Color
110# Uncoated Chocolate Cover – Smooth, uncoated, Chocolate Brown Color
110# Uncoated Apple Red Cover – Smooth, uncoated, Apple Red Color
110# Uncoated Pumpkin Orange Cover – Smooth, uncoated, Pumpkin Orange Color
120# Coated White Dull Gloss Cover – White, smooth, non-reflective finish
120# Uncoated White Cover – White, uncoated
130# Coated White Gloss Cover – White, smooth, reflective finish
130# Coated White Gloss Cover – White, smooth, reflective finish
12pt Coated C1S Cover – White, Smooth coated on 1 side, uncoated on other side
50# Uncoated White Book/Text – White, rough/natural, no finish
60# Uncoated Accent Book/Text – White, smooth, no finish
70# Uncoated Accent Book/Text – White, smooth, no finish
80# Coated White Dull Gloss Book/Text – White, smooth, non-reflective finish
80# Coated White Gloss Book/Text – White, smooth, reflective finish
80# Coated Ice Pearl Book/Text – Smooth with metallic finish (reflective)
100# Coated White Gloss Book/Text – White, smooth, reflective finish
- Uncoated -- rough/natural; for writing on, more comfortable for reading for long periods
- Coated Dull Gloss -- smooth, dull, non-reflective; sharper image, vivid detail
- Coated Gloss -- smooth, shiny, reflective; sharper image, vivid detail
- Coated Pearl -- smooth; metallic elegance, soft image
- Smooth -- flat, smooth surface
- Felt -- textured, has small bumps
- Ribbed -- textured, small, thin raised lines in one direction on paper
- Linen -- textured, resembles linen cloth, small, thin raised lines in both directions on paper
|typically used in home printers and copy machines||typically used for books, flyers, etc.||typically used for greeting cards, recipe cards, business cards, posters, etc.|
|20#||50# (light weight)||.0038|
|60# (light weight)||.0048|
|70# (medium weight)||.0058|
|80# (medium weight)||.0061|
|100# (heavy weight)||.0073|
|80# (light weight)||.0092|
|90# (light weight)||.0094|
|100# (medium weight)||.0113|
|11pt C1S - coated only on one side (heavy weight)||.0110|
|120# (heavy weight)||.0133|
|130# (extra heavy)||.0153|
White is available in most options. Printing a colored background on white paper is most cost effective.
Colored paper is only offered in the following options:
|Cream||Uncoated||Smooth||Light Weight Cover (80#)|
|Cream||Uncoated||Ribbed||Light Weight Cover (90#)|
|Cream||Uncoated||Felt||Medium Weight Cover (100#)|
|Black||Uncoated||Smooth||Medium Weight Cover (100#)|
|Ice||Coated Pearl||Smooth||Pearl Cover - Heavy Weight (110#) or Pearl Book/Text - Medium Weight (80#)|
|Navy Blue||Uncoated||Smooth||Heavy Weight Cover (110#)|
|Chocolate||Uncoated||Smooth||Heavy Weight Cover (110#)|
|Apple Red||Uncoated||Smooth||Heavy Weight Cover (110#)|
|Pumpkin Orange||Uncoated||Smooth||Heavy Weight Cover (110#)|
- From the time of order submission, it will take 1 business day to receive your proof. Once the proof has been approved, it will take 3 business days until your order is ready for pick up. If your order is being shipped, it can take up to 7 business days to receive your order.
- Business days are Monday through Friday. If a holiday falls on a business day, that day is not included in the turnaround time.
- On Fridays, our machines are shut down early for end-of-week cleaning.
Watkins Printing staffs in-house graphic designers that have years of experience in designing effective advertisements and visually appealing layouts for your printed material. We can design your logo, business stationery, advertisement, product catalog, kit cover, brochure, family history book, and more.
In addition to our graphic designers being able to create new elements for you from scratch, we also offer services to restore your old or poorly exposed photography.
Watkins Printing offers scanning services for photos, slides, art, negatives, and other materials. We also offer OCR services, to convert typed hard copy to editable files, quickly and easily.
Watkins Printing offers a full-service mailing and distribution system to complement your printing and advertising efforts. Our mailing service is an easy and affordable way to professionally mail all kinds of printed media such as brochures, postcards, greeting cards, booklets, catalogs, newsletters, and more.
List & Database ManagementWatkins Printing can manage your distribution list for you. We offer list and database management services that include address standardization, duplicate address removal, targeted mailing lists, and more for confidence in reaching your audience.
Direct MailingWatkins Printing offers cost-efficient advertising, marketing, billing, and publishing through our complete mailing service. You'll save money on your advertising efforts by having Watkins Printing do the mailing for you.
List CertificationWe offer CASS and PAVE certified lists.
DiscountsAutomation rates for postal discounts
Mailpiece DesignWatkins Printing employs a complete staff of graphic designers with experience in creating visually appealing and effective direct mailing pieces. Use our graphic designers to create the kind of mailing piece you're looking for.
Variable DataVariable Data allows you the ability to vary the information on your printed products. This allows each piece to be unique or customized for each customer. A postcard, letter, or any product can be printed with information that is specific to each individual.
Names, addresses, a unique message, and more can be printed on each piece. This also allows you to have numbers printed sequentially for things such as tickets or forms. Connect more personally with your customers. They are more likely to see and respond if the materials received are personalized to them. All of these abilities come in handy especially when you have a large list of individuals to whom you wish to send information.
Benefits of using Variable Data include:
- Improved awareness
- Greater document impact
- More response back
- Increased sales
- Reduced costs
- Customization to a target market